This work by Michael Etigson (E-mail) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Evening Rounds


In the wee hours of the night, drifting in and out of sleep on a tide of pain medication, I happened to spy a nurse quietly updating the computer. She used a flashlight to avoid turning on the overhead lights and waking me, taking care to tap softly at the keys while basking in the soft glow of the monitor. It wasn't the most dramatic image, but it stuck in my mind so I drew it the next morning. The smudges around the edges are blood from me unwittingly dislodging my IV while moving around to draw. IV placement is an important consideration for me when I go to the hospital and I often have arguments with the ER nurses about optimal locations that won't interfere with my drawing.

No comments: